Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Scholarly and Sweaty Suzette

Question of the Day: Will you raise your children the same way you have been raised? What would you do differently?

My Answer: Hey, I turned out pretty good, right? :) Well, I mean it's hard to judge because I know each kid is going to be different. But, one thing that I'd really like to work on is really good communication with my children and my family. What I picked up from my parents is their care and kindness. I also would love to raise my kids with a neighborhood lake (not a neighborhood pool, thank you). Also, I know my parents were a lot more tolerant with me than they should have been. :) Because I definitely feel like I didn't treat my parents respectable all the time, I would like to initiate more respect and communication basically.

I woke up this day thinking that the joy and blessings from the last couple days was going to wear off. The clock had struck 12 and the magic had worn off. Or so I thought. I began my study for American Heritage. When my roommate told me scholarship information was up. I anxiously went to "My Financial Center." I could not believe my eyes. I had gotten a scholarship.

Rewind a year. I was lost on where I was going to school. I had missed the deadline for BYU scholarships my freshman year. My parents wouldn't co-sign for my loan. I was stuck. Even local scholarships didn't offer me as much as I anticipated. I felt like all my academic and extracurricular efforts were useless. Wasted.

I vowed to myself that I would make it up. That despite my financial setbacks compared to others, I would still work hard. "I'll show them."

It's like a movie moment. I felt like Will Smith in "The Pursuit of Happyness." Someone actually wanted me at their university. I am a valuable asset to them! I have a place here.


Even though it didn't settle all of my financial struggles, I felt like I had been guided to safer waters. I knelt down and could hardly get out a thank you to my Heavenly Father without sobbing.


This miracle gave the determination to study hard for my American Heritage test. I was focused. No one could distract me. I took the test in half the time I thought it would take. I ended up with an A. What were my two goals this semester? To get an A in American Heritage and to get an A in Chemistry. Halfway there.

To end a surprisingly great day, I ran with Eleise. Before we came inside, we ran into our friends Robbie and Luke. Luke, our British friend, gave me a hug. And then asked to sniff my sweat.

...
It reminded me of a dog sniffing another dog's butt. 
Gross! I mean, ask me to hack a lugi. Sure. But, smell me after a run? Blegh. But, finally he did? And he then said we would have healthy children together. I guess that prediction has something to do with my sweat. Again, gross. RMD (Random Moment of Day).

Anyways, if there's anyone reading this, please tell me your answer to the raising your kids! I want to know what you'd do similar to/different from your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment