Monday, June 13, 2011

We Are Robin Hood!

When it's finally summer, you kick back and relax. Suddenly, you get more flexibility in your schedule. Go to bed at 2am? Sure, why not. Wake up at noon? It only makes sense. Become obsessed with a TV series? Seems to happen to my sister and me a lot! 

We became obsessed with the BBC version of Robin Hood. It consists of 3 seasons, with 13 episodes lasting 41-44 minutes a piece. Trust me, I am not entirely proud of the 28 1/2 hours spent watching Robin Hood in such a short amount of time. However, I would like to justify my actions by revealing many positive and negative themes throughout the series. Most of you know the legend of Robin Hood, so it shouldn't be hard to follow along.

1) Charity. Steal from the rich to give to the poor. It's funny because we often see this as taxes nowadays. Our system includes a progressive income tax where the rich pay a bigger percentage of their income. This money, theoretically, gets distributed to government institutions especially welfare programs. So, long live Robin Hood! But, I think the most important part of this phrase is give to the poor. There are many different ways we can and should help the poor. In the series, I realized that the more you care about others, the less time you have to think about yourself. Thus, you automatically become less self-centered. And let's face it, we all have innate selfish desires. It's the natural man. 

2) Loyalty. Loyalty to one's friends, country, and self is far superior than power and wealth. Showing your friends that you're there for them in the good and bad times can be the greatest blessing for both parties. I think of Harry Potter, when Dumbledore says, "He was a fierce, fierce friend." I wish I could have that said about me (well, except with a feminine pronoun). What a powerful adjective to go along with the word friend. 

3) Love.True love depends on the little, day-to-day acts rather than the monumental, dramatics moments. This is something that I discovered contrary in Robin Hood. It seems as if Marian and Robin could only profess their love to each other when certain death loomed on their heads. When they survived, they went back to their equally stubborn and bickering personalities. How sad! It is a romance that I greatly admired until I realized they didn't have a sturdy foundation.

4) Integrity. Can one kind deed truly cleanse a damned man, and can one evil deed condemn an honest man? It's not really a theme, but a question argued throughout the series. It reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean when Captain Sparrow holds Elizabeth ransom to escape. I think this question depends on the remorse and the repentance of the individual. If the "damned" man is able to repent, then he is better off than if the honest man feels no need to repent of one bad deed because of his lifetime of purity.

5) Faith. No one is invincible. I cannot believe how many times the writers surprised me with a death of a main character. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but I genuinely cried for those characters. It resembles the reality that good people die too. But, what's important is what they stood for. And maybe what they died for. Besides, death is not the end. This is something that is hard to grasp because we cannot see what happens after death. One must have faith going into the unknown. 

6) Bravery. Stand up for what is right, despite fear and inevitable rejection. If I learned nothing more than of Robin's bravery in the face of injustice, I would be content. This quality is something I wished I possessed more of. Too many times I have let people walk all over me. Sometimes it's hard to determine when to be reserved and when to be bold. But, I want to be able to stand up for what I believe is right! I am very dissatisfied when people find it okay to ridicule my beliefs. 

For instance, a guy at my work is determined to hear me swear. He seems so fixed on it! He even came up to me in a half whisper and said, "Just say it. Once." It only made me think back to 6th or 7th grade when my supposed friends prodded me with the same words. If I didn't give in in 6th grade, what makes him think I will easily give in 7 or 8 years later? I cannot say I'm perfect, but I cannot be easily dissuaded from my standards. I guess this is a sign of bravery. However, it's quiet bravery. I cannot keep passively allowing people to snicker at my beliefs! I cannot sit idly by while missionaries and other faith-inspired members assist in the gathering of Israel. I think bravery depends not only upon confidence in one's self and beliefs, but also in the hope that it will make a difference! That a word spoken by you might affect another. 

 Part of the series reminded me of a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson on the definition of success. I also found this one that applies to Robin Hood, but also us! 

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them (RWE). 

That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased (RWE). 
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have livedthis is to have succeeded (I guess not actually attributable to RWE, but still profound). The bolded portions remind me of Robin Hood. 

As the men of Robin Hood frequently said, "We are Robin Hood!" We need to embody the principles of charity, loyalty, love, integrity, faith, and bravery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment