Monday, June 6, 2011

Mix of Genes and Emotions

Okay, have you ever had something that everyone gave you a compliment on? Like, for my friend Helena, it's her red hair. Not that compliments aren't appreciated, it just gets redundant when everyone compliments one particular body part. For me, it's my eyes.  It's almost frustrating because it's not like I did anything to acquire them. I always want to tell people, "Well, thank my parents!" Or my bitter feeling came from the fact that many have tried to flatter me with this compliment. Trust me, I have had many guys stare deep into my eyes and tell me "You have the most beautiful eyes." Then, they smile triumphantly as if they had bestowed some precious gift to me.

The boys that meant so much to me seem to all use this phrase. In fact, that's probably the root of my bitterness.

But, then, I actually looked at my eyes (sounds kind of weird). It's like someone took a blue eye and let it rust in the middle. And further away, the yellow and blue seem to mix, giving the appearance of green. They always used to be green to me.

I guess this is the beauty that Heavenly Father wants me to see in myself. Maybe it's not so bad to have these eyes. Maybe they were a gift, rather than a random mix of genes or a reminder of my pitfalls in childish infatuations.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I feel guilty now for being one of those people to compliment your eyes! They're just so pretty though! Mine are a boring brown. Blah.

    ReplyDelete