Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I feel almost a responsibility to write this post write now. I just finished my last day at wing warehouse. Weird. I am going to miss those bunch of misfits. I learned so much there. I felt mostly a duty to myself to blog about the people.

1) Steve. Imagine a typical fisherman type with an earring and a tattoo or two. Built sturdy and strong. But, contrast that with his goofy smile and glasses that give off a wittier side. He loves to joke around, and spend time with his kids. He picked a flower from the back once because he said I deserved something pretty. He also would give me massages when we were slow or dead at work.

2) Ed. The Head. Cook. When I first met him, I was nervous around him. And, he seemed to get along well with other girls, but not me. He has a larger built; however, in recent months he's been losing weight. His teeth are a little discolored from his chewing tobacco. But, it doesn't make his smiles less spirited. He had small beady eyes too. However, most people automatically notice his pants (he's been called Mr. Funny Pants before). The patterns and colors burst from his bandana down to his toes. What I love most about him is his sincerity. He actually is a priest at his church! I never would've seen that coming! I was utterly shocked that someone else was religious there too! Ed is a fantastic cook (he let me try a stuffed mushroom he made for his church) which he attributes to his mother.

3) Tracey. After our old manager took her pregnancy leave, I was introduced to this perky mom and now manager. Her short, bright burgundy hair is her standout trait. I can't help but smile at the way her whole face beams when she smiles. She's bubbly, but also firm. She knows how to run a business.  Come to find out she's the mother of my old manager at Subway. Small world! But, most importantly, every time I hear "The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars, I think of Tracey's little bop she'd do.

4) Angie. Now, I never really knew what to think of older ladies as waitresses. To be honest, I thought they were "second-class." While I feel terrible writing this, I can resolutely say Angie and Julie (I'll get to her) have changed my opinion. They are magnificent servers with a talent for working with people. I think it could be their maternal instinct in them. I can't talk about Angie without mentioning her confidence in her body, specifically her derriere! She would often kid around about it. I still remember my last night of training with her while she'd shadow me with her fierce brown bob hairstyle and bold, silver hoop earrings the size of my fist. Again she loves her little angels very much, and frequently whips out her phone to get a snapshot of their cuteness.

5) Laticia. If you saw this girl, you would NOT think she had a kid with how petite her frame is. She'd occasionally wear her thick-rimmed glasses with fit her face well with her striking blonde, shoulder length hair. The best was her facial expressions. Her looks of disbelief, sarcasm, and annoyance never ceased to amuse me.

6) Brittany P. Another girl down the same road as Laticia in that she's petite, but significantly shorter. She's also got these big eyes that contrast with her dark tanned skin. And don't let her size fool you. What she lacks in height, she makes up for in her temperament. I thought she'd hate me and rip me to shreds. I honestly thought I'd end a night with her screaming at me. However, as she told me later, she doesn't hate a lot of people. She can get annoyed and lose her temper, but she doesn't hate them. She speaks her mind, which is something I admire. I'll never forget when she told her boyfriend about me and how I was the girl who brought in the delicious brownies and gave her a free kid's pass to the zoo. I think after that she found me tolerable. I also admire her love for her son in that she tattooed his birthday in Roman numerals on her neck.

7) Randy. You know, when I was applying for the job, Randy actually came out of the kitchen and said to me, "I just started here. Trust me, you don't want to work here." I looked him up and down, staring at his goofy getup. His looks classify him as a typical "gangster" but his eyes give away his kindness. I'll always remember that goofy smirk he'd give me with that dark brown goatee and mustache.  Then, he'd walk away, showing off the Mickey on the back of his hat. I gave him a Book of Mormon. I keep praying that he'll read it. I need to get his number to give to the missionaries. I hope there's still time before I leave.

Alright, that's all I have time for tonight. More to come. I hope you get a taste of the people there. I felt misplaced at first; but, just like in a family, they adopted me in. They found room for me. And even though we may look different or have different beliefs or even completely different lifestyles, we all wore that crazy little chicken and a memorable phrase on our shirts:
"If it's not on your face, you ain't eatin it right"

No comments:

Post a Comment