Friday, August 19, 2011

Finding Truth In Art, Science, and History


My mom keeps asking me what my favorite part of Washington D.C. was. I enjoyed the museums, the food, the people. But, honestly my favorite part was seeing Christ in everything.


At the National Gallery of Art, I saw predominately Renaissance artwork and sculptures. Those famous artists depicted the life of Christ. They knew the importance of His life, and His suffering in the Atonement. Those artists wanted to portray the feelings they felt and what those close to the Savior felt. Why? Because He is real and our Savior. I was so touched by this Renaissance/Medieval artwork section because the artists had faith in a Higher Being. How often does our perception of artistic people lean towards the faithless? They seem to push the boundaries now, instead of trying to understand life's meaning.

Then, the artist portrayal of the ideal woman stood out to me too. They showed mythological goddesses of wisdom and strength, clothed in flowing feminine gowns. The women’s strength did not come from stealing man’s strength; rather, these women found their divine nature in other ways: service, charity, understanding, maternal instinct, sweetness, wisdom, wit, etc. I kept thinking: How can I be like these women? Confident in themselves and their purpose. I know who I am and what my purpose is; now, I just have to constantly develop that understanding. It might take a lifetime, but the important thing is to try everyday.

The experience in the Natural History museum was not entirely different. Though the two worlds of art and science seem at odds, they have a common element of the Savior. Our artwork can be an expression of our love towards him. And natural history is an expression of His love towards us. I remember observing the gems and precious stones and thinking, He gave us these! He gave us these precious jewels. And yet, he always says that we’re more valuable than them. A virtuous woman is worth more than a ruby! The way people flocked to the gems of the world made me think how precious we really are.

Even in the Evolution exhibit. I do not know everything on how change in nature occurs. However, I do think Heavenly Father is understanding of people that are just trying to figure out where they came from. They get confused; but that doesn’t mean He doesn’t love them.

The Natural History museum made me happy for mankind! We were genuinely interested in the world that our Heavenly Father gave to us. People are eager to discover new life in the deepest, darkest waters. Even in that darkness, He provided light!

The hardest part was probably the Holocaust museum. I do not understand why those human beings needed to go through so much suffering and pain. I can only imagine Satan’s insurmountable influence in this tragedy. And while I have had a much better life than those poor souls, I do know that our Heavenly Father does love those people. I can imagine Him watching as His people suffer: the pain that He must felt. I can also imagine the open arms He extended once those precious souls reached heaven. I can only imagine the sacred place reserved for those victims, or victims of any human inhumanity. What I do know is that despite this inhumanity, people were true to their faith. One survivor said, “This should teach everyone to never, never, ever give up.” They prayed and showed gratitude for what they did have. The girl’s passport that I had was a Jehovah’s witness. She chose to be imprisoned because she would not denounce her religion. These are the people that I admire. Even though they never had the fullness of truth on this Earth, what truth they did know they clung to. They would not let anyone take that away from them. The people I feel sorry for were those that had nothing to believe in.

  My dad asked me when we were in the hotel who was the person that influenced me the most. He started rambling about some of the people that did influence me. But, my answer came like a little burning inside. I said, though somewhat lightheartedly, “Jesus Christ!” He really did play a huge role on me this past year. And, I know that He has played a hand in my entire life, as well as the lives of those from the Renaissance, geologists, scientists, and Holocaust victims. He cares. 

1 comment: