Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Okay, so I'm challenging myself today to see if I can go a whole day without meat or dairy. Easy, right?

Breakfast. As soon as I open the fridge, I see a tempting container of vanilla yogurt. It's still healthy, but I'm trying something new today. Okay, stick with oatmeal. Always good for you. And hey! No meat or dairy! I made myself a packet of Cinnamon & Spice oatmeal. Then, I chowed down on a bowl of juicy watermelon.

For a mid-morning snack I had only my FAVORITE kind of granola bar: Nature Valley Oats & Honey.

Then lunch rolled around. No chicken wrap today. Hmm, I wonder if I can still satisfy my body with a veggie wrap? I looked online for some recipes, but to no avail (they all seemed to have cheese or mayo). So I did what I do best in cooking: improvised. I looked in our fridge for any leftover veggies. Corn, peas, green peppers, shredded carrots, and a tomato caught my eye. I guess we really do have more healthy choices in our fridge than I thought we did. 


Now, I added that good ole olive oil ( Hey, those health freaks always rave about it). I went to our spice cabinet and glanced over the plethora that could make or brake my veggies. I love basil...check. And, I saw the recipes online had garlic so let's throw in a little of that. Alright, then the classic salt and pepper. I threw all of these ingredients onto a skillet. As it was cooking, I thought, hey, let's add some vinegar. Make it legit. I looked again into our spice cabinet for the best kind of vinegar. I figured I'd just use like Red Wine or White vinegar. But, thanks to my mom's interest in grocery shopping, I found "Rice Vinegar." I smelled it, and it seemed alright. So I poured a little in. It smelled so good! To make it stretch, I added some white rice. Stuck it on a wheat tortilla and voila! Afterwards, I felt...cleansed. Is that weird? It was a wholesome kind of full!

My sister says I only blog about food. But, it keeps me from blogging about people or work. It keeps me positive! I'll try to blog about something else after this post. But, hey, I am going into Nutritional Science. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I was originally minoring in nutritional science! ahhh, sounds delish my dear! :)

    ReplyDelete