Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Like A Kid In A Candy Store

"Like a kid in a candy store"

Ever heard that before? As kids, we were drawn to the appeal of chocolate-covered, sugar-coated, creme-filled happiness. I mean, who wouldn't beg their parents for a candy bar while waiting in line at the grocery store? And maybe you were a bit mischievous and stole a candy bar for that temporary moment of joy (only to be scolded for your action soon after). 

However, you soon find yourself in the puberty stages. Yeah, I don't even want to go into what happens to your body. Let's face it though: sometimes you just feel...disproportionate. Wait, you can't eat that same old sugary goodness and get away with it? For me, I didn't really realize at this age that I needed to eat healthy. 

Now, I feel like I've learned a lot over the past couple of years. In fact, I enjoy the science and nutrition of food so much that I'm planning on going into Nutritional Science! I loved learning about the chemistry of fatty acids and skimming the surface of organic chemistry. 

I guess what this all boils down to is my perception of food. When I was younger, I thoroughly enjoyed the appeal of candy. Heck, I could eat whatever I wanted. Then, I started having a love-hate relationship with food. I was treating it so well! Giving it plenty of attention. So, why did I feel so bad after a rendez-vous with Ben & Jerry? 

I finally understand that food can be healthy AND good. Coming home around 10pm tonight, I reach in the fridge and chow down on...corn and watermelon (not mixed, ew gross). You always hear that fruits and veggies are so good for you, but what I am starting to understand is that they make you feel good too. They keep you full! And guilt-free! 

To finish up this typical girl post, I want to tell anyone out there that I am ready to embrace the science and art of fruit/veggie nutrition. 

I'm still contemplating what's best for me, but this one "Green Diet" book got me thinking: Do I really need to be eating as much meat and dairy as I do? AND, of course, how can I finally get out of the "kid in a candy store" craze for sugar? 

What's most important to me is being happy with my choices, including food choices. So, here's to being happy, hearty, and healthy! Next time, I go grocery shopping (which might be tomorrow) BEWARE! I might be like a kid in a candy store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment