Tuesday, July 22, 2014

His Glory

I've been reluctant to post...because this will be my 100th post! I wanted it to be spectacular. Ground-breaking n stuff.

But, I couldn't hold back my enthusiasm about the prophet Joseph Smith's words. Joseph Smith was visited by an angel and it was revealed to him where a set of gold plates were. On these gold plates contained a record of an ancient people that lived in the Americas. It told of their conversions unto Christ, and Christ coming to visit them after his resurrection. It told of their struggles, so that those reading would learn from their mistakes.

Joseph Smith was instructed to retrieve these plates and to translate them through the power of God. What a glorious opportunity! But, the angel Moroni warned Joseph Smith that Satan would tempt him. Joseph came from humble circumstances, and Satan would tempt him to use the plates for monetary value. Following this warning, Joseph writes:

"[The angel] forbade me, saying that I must have no other object in view in getting the plates but to glorify God, and must not be influenced by any other motive than that of building his kingdom."

For me, I was so touched by this passage. I thought of all the things I've done in my life, and asked myself: Did I do it with no other object in view but to glorify God?

When I received a calling in the church, did I think: "I must have no other object in view in getting this calling but to glorify God."

In all things, I want to be able to eventually say, I did it to glorify God. I serve people to glorify Him. I love to glorify Him. I keep His commandments to glorify Him. Not to get monetary value. Not to get praise or power. Not to feel loved in return by others. But, solely for His glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment